my big family

my big family
1 Family

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Her Family and I : Chapter 10

A few months later, after much persuasion she let me come up to her house and met her parents. I was a bit scared, but Siti’s parents actually are cool. The minute I walked in, they treated me as they known me for years. (Except questions about me personally) To tell you the truth, I expected scorned faces and demanded question, but it didn’t happen. Her father even offered me a cigarette.

            Actually, my father in law, don’t like me much at the beginning. He was just being polite. Mak in the other hand already likde me. After all she knew about me the last time and she knew that Siti is still deeply in love with me. Abah felt that I am too short, he preferred Azlan who was better looking than me, and have a steady job. Even Siti’s brother Azlan wasn’t that approval. He was very protective of his sister, and was afraid that I will let her down again, and once more, her sister will get hurt again.

            They were more concern when Siti quit after going out with me for 6 months. She quit because she was not satisfied with her job, and also Azlan, her ex-fiancé is still monitoring her schedule.  She felt that stewardess was not her calling anymore. She complained to me every time we went out on a date. So I suggested she quit. She also wanted to spend more time with me. She accepted a job nearby her house, a walking distance, as a receptionist. The salary was not as much as her previous job, but she was happy because she could see me everyday.

            I was working at Ampang Park, (I quit college same time she quit her job) as a display artist in Hankyu Jaya. It was near by her work place. I think this was the sweetest memory that we had when we were together before we got engaged. Every day at lunch time, I came and pick her up, and we went lunch together. We usually went to Titiwangsa Lake Garden, bought a ‘nasi bungkus’ then sat at a nearby bench and had our lunch, while talking. We always had something to tell and said to each other, even the tinniest and smallest issues. It was a memory that I will cherish forever. She don’t need much, she doesn’t mind who I was, what I work and what my transportation was. She was just glad that I appreciated her, and this time I brought her a single rose, everyday.

            Maybe you will think that I over doing it or maybe you think that I am crazy, but if I love some one I want to be with her most of the time. Every day, every moment, as Aerosmith said in their song; “I don’t want to miss a thing”. After finished my work, almost everyday I will go back to Siti’s house and spent my time with her family. The other reason I was there was I want to show the family that I am serious about my relationship with Siti. Some people say that if you want to marry someone you have to make her family and friends like you too. So, I want to coerce myself into their life.

             It was not an easy task, and not easy in the pocket. My salary was not much then, only three figures.. As I told you in the previous chapters of ‘Our Story’, Siti had two brothers. Azlan was 16, and Azli was 5. I always bring something for them, tidbits, toys or just something to eat. We had dinner together, most of the time Siti cooked for the whole family, and some time I cooked. Her parents had begun to like me and trusted me. I guess for me, it was fun. I was not sure what they thought of me, why I went there every single night. I think I did a good job courting the family. Even Azlan already thought me as a brother and always asked me for advices.

            Other time we went a family outing together. We went to Sunway Lagoon, Bird Park and Orchid farm among others. She always divided her time equally with me and her family. Holding hands in front of the parents feel awkward, but yet it just showed that she was very serious in love with me.

            I knew they accepted me when I was bed ridden and was hit by the flu. I had the chicken pox. I was 21 years old. It was around her birthday 14th September. I called my friend, Elinna to help me. I asked her to bought 21 red roses, and a soft toy as chubby as me, (I surveyed it a week before I was sicked) and asked Elinna to delivered the presents to her office, but this was not the story I want to told you. Siti came with her family and came visit me. This was going to be the first time our family will meet each other. I was nervous.

They came, Abah, Mak, Azlan, Azli and of course my beloved Siti. I don’t care about others, but the concern in her eyes when she saw me was just the thing to make me better. It went smooth, our parents talked, luckily not about us. They told my parents that they were worried about me, and wanted to see how I felt. Azlan was lauging his head off, looking at me and Siti. We were blushing and abashed.

I did what I did to get approval from the family. Siti had a bad experienced with her fiancé, and I didn’t want her family thought I was the same. The truth was, all this was her idea. She knew her family better than I. Until now I am still very close to the family. I love them and I guessed the feeling was mutual. Her aunties and uncles, her nieces and nephews, even her cousins’ families, I love them all.



...to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment